Tuesday, May 30, 2006

This humbling message comes from Today's Proverb, Proverbs 30: 2-6:

2 "I am the most ignorant of men; I do not have a man's understanding.
3 I have not learned wisdom, nor have I knowledge of the Holy One.
4 Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands? Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and the name of his son? Tell me if you know!
5 "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
6 Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Like the message Job and his friends received in those final chapters of that great book, I realize how different God is from me. Nevertheless, I find myself practically every moment trying to make myself god. What folly. And I do it repeatedly even after repeatedly finding myself in one jam after another as a result of that same folly. And oh how often in that quest for personal godhood do i refuse to obey verse 6. I make for myself (and, unfortuntately, try to make for others) rules that I know I can follow (but that are additive to His words) and then some how consider myself good for doing so. How utterly self-righteous is that?! And, perhaps now I am projecting to others my own folly, but it strikes me that much of the "battle" going on in the SBC and within the universal church occurs because of that same sin. Why do we feel compelled to add to the gospel? Remember that John 1:1 proclaims that Jesus is the Word. Why do we want to add to that?? Jesus alone is the propitiation, not anything that we, frail humanity, can add to it. Anything we add suggests that God alone is not sufficient and that we can be as god(s), saving ourselves and others.

No comments: